Poker Basics: Learning the Cards
Card games have offered unlimited fun and entertainment to casino gamers for a long time. Poker and its numerous variants have ruled the roost, be it at land based or online casinos. Before playing the game it is better to know the basics.
- Poker is played with a standard deck of 52 cards, and a poker hand consists of five dealt cards
- The highest poker hand is five of a kind and the lowest hand is no pairs of any kind. The straight flush, four of a kind, full house, flush and many more are other hands in the game.
- Betting happens in intervals, and is the most important part of the game. The player should follow a strategy of betting high if he has a good hand and vice versa.
- Poker is played with poker chips which have different values from the lowest to highest. Betting happens when a player drops a couple of chips into the pot. The subsequent players might either call (same number of chips), raise (add extra chips to the bet) or fold i.e. not bet any chips which means he or she is out of the game.
- After the final betting interval the showdown happens and the player with the best hand amongst the players who remain is the winner.
- Bluffing is also a way to win. This is where a player makes a huge bet (not necessarily based on a winning hand) which none of the other players match.
- Certain countries in the European Union have legalized poker, and the earnings from the games are not taxable. Do check out if your earnings from poker games are taxable or not by doing some research.
Players today are spoiled for choice with various variants of the original poker game available, such as Texas Hold’em, Seven Card Stud, Crazy Pineapple Poker, Irish Poker and many more.